Experienced Thousand Oaks Move-Away Attorney

Zealous Representation Since 1993

Are you considering moving away or are seeking information about what happens if a former spouse moves away? It is essential that you understand your rights. Whether the move is a few towns over or a few states away, any relocation that impacts the current custody orders require modification. Measures must be taken to ensure that the move-away is both legal and in the best interest of the child.

Hoffer Family Law Firm recognizes that moving away is a part of the journey and that affordability, job opportunities, or support are only some of the reasons why you might need to move. When a child is involved, the primary concern is the child's best interests. Our Thousand Oaks family lawyer knows that every case is different and that part of good preparation is keeping you involved and your individual needs are paramount.

Call (805) 449-4290 NOW to discuss your current situation and get the guidance you need from an attorney in Thousand Oaks for move-away cases who knows how to zealously represent your best interests.

What Should You Know About Child Custody in Move-Away Cases?

When a parent wants to move away with a child, a motion should be filed with the court to establish a new custody order If the child is moving from the current home following a divorce, the custody order can be changed. The court does not determine whether the parent has the legal right to move and will instead see what situation will benefit the child and whether the current agreement needs to change.

Modifying child custody orders in move-away cases involve the following considerations:

  • How far away the parent is moving
  • The age of the child
  • The child's relationship with each of their parents
  • Stability of the environment and the child's existing ties
  • The reason for the move
  • The current relationship between the parents
  • Where the child prefers to live
  • Whether the moving parent will foster a relationship between the child and the non-moving parent.

If you or your ex-spouse are relocating to a new place, the court will seek to minimize the disruption that the move makes on the child's life and relationship with the parents. Considerations will be made for the child's current education, after-school activities, and friends and family in the area.

Helping Our Clients Through Rough Times

Moving away with a child can be complicated to navigate without the help of experienced counsel.   For over 25 years, we have provided our clients with the necessary tools and knowledge they need to make informed decisions. We assert our clients' rights aggressively and promptly so as to help them win their move away cases.

Call (805) 449-4290 NOW to get the experienced counsel you deserve from Hoffer Family Law Firm.

Focused Preparation & Client Involvement

We provide aggressive negotiation on behalf of our clients. You can expect clear communication from our firm at every step of the process.

We're Here to Help You, Contact Us Today

Let us provide detailed and helpful legal advice in your family matter. Call us today at 805-449-4290 to find out how we will fight for your rights.

Copyright © 2019 Hoffer Family Law Firm

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.